IMPORTANT: As notified in due time, my CM10.2 kernels do NOT support proprietary Custom Rom frameworks anymore. So if your Custom Rom did not implement the generic framework class framework-2.jar but his own naming convention, you may get a boot loop. Do not whine about this here but advise your Custom ROM dev to fix this. I will not change this ever again.
The most prominent custom kernels for CM will follow the same approach (aligned between AndiP, Googy, Teufel, Psndna, Temasek and me).
Before proceding, please consider learning from Garfield :
(Thanx to MuertoKo for this educational image)
I have spend numerous hours coding, merging ... and writing this OP, so please have the decency to at least read it before asking questions.
FIRST OF ALL, do a Nandroid backup before flashing !
By flashing this kernel you agree to do this at your very own risk ! I will and can not be
held responsible for whatever may happen as a consequence of using this kernel / script generator.
This software is made available to you as is, no waranties can be given.
If you do not agree to these terms, then please use your browser's back key.
This kernel is based on CyanogenMod CM10 kernel sources, so it is intended only to be used on CM10 based ROMs.
The kernel has been tested on the following Android 4.1.x AOSP/CM ROMs :
- [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1745003"]Paranoid Android[/url] 2.54 by gokussjx
- Helly_Bean (CM10) / Hellybean 20130114
- CM10 & CM10.1
- Slimbeam ROMs / 4.2.1 RC1 / RC2.2
- Temasek's nightly V99 / v56
- Jelly BAM
- Rootbox (incl. 4.2.2)
- Baked blackbean 6
- PACman ROM
- temasek V35 ... V64
- cyanway beta 3
- Resurrection Remix 3.1.4
- ReVolt JB I9300
- kodec II
- rootbox rom
- ReVolt 3.2 (4.2.1 AOKP)
- N.E.A.R rom 1.2x
- carbon rom 1.3 based on 4.2.2
- Slim Rom 4.2.1
- Carbon 1.5beta, 1.6
- Omega v5.0 ◄●►AOKP JB Build 5
- ... (you tell me )
The kernel has been tested on the following Android 4.2.x AOSP/CM ROMs :
- [url="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1745003"]Paranoid Android[/url] all 4.2.2 by gokussjx
- SuperNexus 2.0
- CM10.1 Nightly
- SlimBeam 4.2.2
- BeanStalk 4.2.2
- JellyBam 7.5.0
- ... (you tell me )
It won't work on Samsung JB (nor ICS) ROMs...
What To Expect Using This Kernel
First of all, the main reason this kernel even exists is because I make it for my own personal use. As some users started using it as well (link in my signature), which was absolutely fine by me, I decided to start a thread for it rather than reply to PMs, as I added one or the other feature upon request by a user even if I don't use that feature personnally (e.g. zram support).
Main objectives for this kernel :
- be as stable as possible to be usable as a perfect daily kernel (conservative approach)
- give a good battery life while being snappy
- give users an easy and safe way to customize settings
- be and stay as close to stock CM10 as possible
- allow only for moderate CPU OC (up to 1.6GHz)
- include some standard Linux features missing in stock kernel (e.g. swap support)
- include interesting commits by other devs (giving proper credit, of course !)
- updated to kernel.org Linux
What NOT To Expect Using This Kernel
- experimental modifications
- cutting edge development
- thrive to be the first, fastest, best, most advanced ... kernel ever !
I just suspect there is a public for genuine slightly modified kernels that are a no fuzz to use, and which are aimed towards "standard power users" as opposed to "hungry beta testers and debuggers" (been there, done that, fun time in my HD2 times helping as I could on Dorimanx kernel). But I need my S3 on a daily bases, privately and for work, so my S3 just has to work.
- your S3 being able to walk your dog, fry your eggs or even toast your bread ...
Credits & Thanx
This is the most important bit of them all, a small place to pay tribute to all those who have helped me making this kernel :
Thanx for helping me get started, out of an almost 20 years break on Linux kernel compiling (at the time it was Linux 0.47 if I remember well), helping me build my compile box(es), upfront getting my first Android kernel compiled, making mods, merging sources, using github in general ... and always taking the time to explain and help out !
Huge thanx for thorough testing and usefull advice, since my first steps on Android, at the time we were both running Tytung's Nexus HD2 on our initially WinMo device, chasing any possible bugs there were to iron out.
Thanx for pushing me here and there to go further with my kernels, and for testing them on your daily and reporting back.
- uberto.costanzo & F3nr1s
Thanx for your support, for testing the kernel and reporting back.
And last but nowhere least, huge thanx to Amarullz for giving us such a great tool, without Aroma Installer flashing kernels / ROMs would still be stone-age kind of voodoo magic, now it has become a proper user experince, giving everybody an easy way to customize whatever is being flashed !
Kernel Cleanup Script, to be flashed when going to a different kernel :
Kernel configuration & log files removal (MD5 313529df6427e5f560b1001748f347b5)