How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby yank555 » 12 May 2013, 15:41

amiravrm wrote:
yank555 wrote:
amiravrm wrote:can i increase the swap size?
sine in the swap line it says only 204796
(GSG3)


The size is determined by the size of the swap partition, if you want more swap, you need to increase the partition size.

JP.

can you explaine how? i couldnt figure it out from the thread


Well you need to repartition the SD card again, like you did to get the 200Mb.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300
Nexus 5 (aka. Hammerhead) 32Gb
Note 3 SM-N9005 32Gb Proudly eFused
SGS3 GT-I9300 32Gb
HTC Sensation XE
HTC HD2
TF300TG 32Gb

Image
Credits FAdrums !
User avatar
yank555
-----------
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 20:51
Has thanked: 924 times
Been thanked: 4608 times

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby amiravrm » 12 May 2013, 17:30

The size is determined by the size of the swap partition, if you want more swap, you need to increase the partition size.

JP.

can you explaine how? i couldnt figure it out from the thread


Well you need to repartition the SD card again, like you did to get the 200Mb.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300

all i had done was to install the mod...
amiravrm
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 May 2013, 05:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby yank555 » 12 May 2013, 17:51

amiravrm wrote:
[quote]
The size is determined by the size of the swap partition, if you want more swap, you need to increase the partition size.

JP.

can you explaine how? i couldnt figure it out from the thread


Well you need to repartition the SD card again, like you did to get the 200Mb.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300

all i had done was to install the mod...[/quote]

Then you don't have any hardswap, and what you see is just 200Mb zRam ;)

Check by typing this in a terminal :

cat /proc/swaps

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300
Nexus 5 (aka. Hammerhead) 32Gb
Note 3 SM-N9005 32Gb Proudly eFused
SGS3 GT-I9300 32Gb
HTC Sensation XE
HTC HD2
TF300TG 32Gb

Image
Credits FAdrums !
User avatar
yank555
-----------
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 20:51
Has thanked: 924 times
Been thanked: 4608 times

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby amiravrm » 13 May 2013, 06:24

yank555 wrote:
Then you don't have any hardswap, and what you see is just 200Mb zRam ;)

Check by typing this in a terminal :

cat /proc/swaps

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300

yea its says there /dev/block/zram0.
how can i hardswap then? a friend told me he did it here with his SGS 3 and got 1200 RAM
amiravrm
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 May 2013, 05:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby yank555 » 13 May 2013, 07:05

amiravrm wrote:
yank555 wrote:
Then you don't have any hardswap, and what you see is just 200Mb zRam ;)

Check by typing this in a terminal :

cat /proc/swaps

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300

yea its says there /dev/block/zram0.
how can i hardswap then? a friend told me he did it here with his SGS 3 and got 1200 RAM


Follow the instructions in the OP (step 2 has a link that shows it handson), the rest is just falshing the mod.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300
Nexus 5 (aka. Hammerhead) 32Gb
Note 3 SM-N9005 32Gb Proudly eFused
SGS3 GT-I9300 32Gb
HTC Sensation XE
HTC HD2
TF300TG 32Gb

Image
Credits FAdrums !
User avatar
yank555
-----------
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 20:51
Has thanked: 924 times
Been thanked: 4608 times

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby amiravrm » 13 May 2013, 07:17

yank555 wrote:
amiravrm wrote:
yank555 wrote:
Then you don't have any hardswap, and what you see is just 200Mb zRam ;)

Check by typing this in a terminal :

cat /proc/swaps

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300

yea its says there /dev/block/zram0.
how can i hardswap then? a friend told me he did it here with his SGS 3 and got 1200 RAM


Follow the instructions in the OP (step 2 has a link that shows it handson), the rest is just falshing the mod.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300


i had already downloaded the mini tool buy there is no other link in the second step
amiravrm
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 May 2013, 05:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby yank555 » 13 May 2013, 07:47

yank555 wrote:2) Partition your SD-card (Minitool Partition Wizard, 4ext, CWM...) - for a step by step documentation have a look here.
You can create as many partitions as you like/can, as long as all are primary partitions. This MOD will look for the swap partiton and find it even if it's not the last, though it's common practice for swap to be the last partition.

Just please don't create more than one swap partition, I don't know how the script would react if there were more than one ! You've been warned !


That link leads you to a post on xda that shows how to do it, not only where to download.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300
Nexus 5 (aka. Hammerhead) 32Gb
Note 3 SM-N9005 32Gb Proudly eFused
SGS3 GT-I9300 32Gb
HTC Sensation XE
HTC HD2
TF300TG 32Gb

Image
Credits FAdrums !
User avatar
yank555
-----------
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 20:51
Has thanked: 924 times
Been thanked: 4608 times

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby amiravrm » 14 May 2013, 14:38

yank555 wrote:That link leads you to a post on xda that shows how to do it, not only where to download.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300


http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... light=swap
thread is closed..
amiravrm
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 May 2013, 05:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby yank555 » 14 May 2013, 18:34

amiravrm wrote:
yank555 wrote:That link leads you to a post on xda that shows how to do it, not only where to download.

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300


http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... light=swap
thread is closed..


I know that, I had it closed ;)

I was talking about this link ('here' in my quote) :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=SD_card_partitioning

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300
Nexus 5 (aka. Hammerhead) 32Gb
Note 3 SM-N9005 32Gb Proudly eFused
SGS3 GT-I9300 32Gb
HTC Sensation XE
HTC HD2
TF300TG 32Gb

Image
Credits FAdrums !
User avatar
yank555
-----------
 
Posts: 3520
Joined: 11 Mar 2013, 20:51
Has thanked: 924 times
Been thanked: 4608 times

Re: How to make and use a swap partition on SD-card (SGS3)

Postby amiravrm » 15 May 2013, 12:13

yank555 wrote:
I know that, I had it closed ;)

I was talking about this link ('here' in my quote) :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=SD_card_partitioning

JP.

Sent from my CM10.1 20130504 / Yank555.lu CM10.1 kernel v1.5n-beta4 (Linux 3.0.78) powered Galaxy S3 i9300


somehow my computer wont recognize my card... is there a way to do it from the phone?
amiravrm
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 May 2013, 05:35
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

PreviousNext

Return to Mods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest